MuseScore being sold?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MuseScore being sold?

chen lung
I was searching for images of grace notes and this looked familiar.
Scott
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MuseScore being sold?

bluesprucetree
If this e-bay "sale" occurred in the US, note that software can be
copyrighted, not necessarily patented.  As long as you put copyright
symbol somewhere you may be protected.  It doesn;t have to be a patent
infringement situation as far as I know.  I am not a lawyer, so you would
need a copywright lawyer for more expertise.

> I was searching for images of grace notes and
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Score-Creation-Editor-Composer-Software-Win-Mac-/190404108789
> this  looked familiar.
>
> -----
> Scott
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://musescore-developer.685061.n2.nabble.com/MuseScore-being-sold-tp6818495p6818495.html
> Sent from the MuseScore Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
> definitive record of customers, application performance, security
> threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
> sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1
> _______________________________________________
> Mscore-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
definitive record of customers, application performance, security
threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MuseScore being sold?

David Bolton-2
In reply to this post by chen lung
The free/open source software license that MuseScore uses (GNU General
Public License) permits sale of the software, as long as the other
freedoms are not restricted (source code should be as available on
request, the person who purchases it should be allowed to share it for
free and modify it themselves).

For the exact details see:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Website content is under a different license and requires an
attribution. It looks like they have used website content without
attribution to promote their sale.

I don't use eBay. Can someone contact the seller and ask him/her to
remove the website content or add an attribution to "Werner Schweer and
others at MuseScore.org"?

Currently the bottom of every musescore.org page says "Licensed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, 2002-2011 Werner Schweer
and others." Could we revise that last part to say something like
"Werner Schweer and others at MuseScore.org" so that there is a
reference back to our original site in situations like this?

David



On 9/21/2011 7:48 PM, chen lung wrote:
> I was searching for images of grace notes and
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Score-Creation-Editor-Composer-Software-Win-Mac-/190404108789
> this  looked familiar.
>
> -----
> Scott
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
definitive record of customers, application performance, security
threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MuseScore being sold?

dcuny
On 9/21/2011 8:14 PM, David Bolton wrote:

> The free/open source software license that MuseScore uses (GNU General
> Public License) permits sale of the software, as long as the other
> freedoms are not restricted (source code should be as available on
> request, the person who purchases it should be allowed to share it for
> free and modify it themselves).

It appears to me that the seller fails to comply with GPL in several ways:


1. They claim the copyright as their own, rather than the work of
someone else:

    > Copyright © 2010 OS Project Software.
    > All rights reserved.

GPL allows selling, but doesn't grant transfer of copyright.


2. The seller prohibits copying, duplicating and reproducing the software:

    > Any copying, duplicating, reproducing, licensing
    > or sub licensing is prohibited.

In essence, they've claimed copyright where no copyright is granted,
hidden the true origin of the software, and created a more restrictive
license.

As I understand it, all these things are prohibited by the GPL.

-- David Cuny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
definitive record of customers, application performance, security
threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MuseScore being sold?

bluesprucetree
I think that part of the recent change in US patent law, which brings it
into conformance with much of the rest of the world, is that the patent
goes to whoever files first, not whoever *invented* it first.  So you need
to check on any patent filings constantly because you may have a limited
time to provide an input that the patent is not theirs. I do not have the
experience to be able to tell whether you are being subjected to
knowledgeable intellectual property thieves or people who are just stupid.

> On 9/21/2011 8:14 PM, David Bolton wrote:
>
>> The free/open source software license that MuseScore uses (GNU General
>> Public License) permits sale of the software, as long as the other
>> freedoms are not restricted (source code should be as available on
>> request, the person who purchases it should be allowed to share it for
>> free and modify it themselves).
>
> It appears to me that the seller fails to comply with GPL in several ways:
>
>
> 1. They claim the copyright as their own, rather than the work of
> someone else:
>
>     > Copyright © 2010 OS Project Software.
>     > All rights reserved.
>
> GPL allows selling, but doesn't grant transfer of copyright.
>
>
> 2. The seller prohibits copying, duplicating and reproducing the software:
>
>     > Any copying, duplicating, reproducing, licensing
>     > or sub licensing is prohibited.
>
> In essence, they've claimed copyright where no copyright is granted,
> hidden the true origin of the software, and created a more restrictive
> license.
>
> As I understand it, all these things are prohibited by the GPL.
>
> -- David Cuny
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
> definitive record of customers, application performance, security
> threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
> sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1
> _______________________________________________
> Mscore-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a
definitive record of customers, application performance, security
threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes
sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MuseScore being sold?

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
In reply to this post by chen lung
Further on this topic, I wanted to share something that Lasconic just sent me: http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/press/re-branding-blender/
So MuseScore is far from the only software project being (mis)used to trick people.