Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

lasconic
Administrator
Hi,

MuseScore 2.0 is in development for many years now. Time to make it a
reality for all MuseScore users.

The past months, we fixed hundreds of bugs. Now, we believe the
development version is very close to be ready for prime time. We will
release a first beta before the end of August, ideally August 25th.

Before this first beta release, we will try to fix as many critical
bugs as possible
http://musescore.org/en/project/issues?status=1&priorities=1&categories=bug

Any help to make this beta1 awesome is welcomed!

You can find me on IRC #musescore on freenode.net

lasconic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

ChurchOrganist
Great news Nicolas :)

Does this mean that the file format is now stable enough to start redoing templates?

Or do we need to wait a little longer
Regards
Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Jojo-Schmitz
In reply to this post by lasconic
Good news!

Will that 2.0 Beta work in parallel with 1.x (similar to the nightlies)?
I think it'd be important that it does.

Bye, Jojo


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

lasconic
Administrator
@ChurchOrganist Regarding templates, indeed it would be good to have
them updated now. See
http://musescore.org/en/node/17386#comment-120326

@Jojo Yes, 2.0beta1 needs to work in parallel of 1.3, and should be
updatable to 2.0. I will do the packaging on Mac and Windows, and I
will do my best to make it possible.

lasconic

2014-08-13 17:38 GMT+02:00 Joachim Schmitz <[hidden email]>:

> Good news!
>
> Will that 2.0 Beta work in parallel with 1.x (similar to the nightlies)?
> I think it'd be important that it does.
>
> Bye, Jojo
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Mscore-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Marc Sabatella
In reply to this post by lasconic
I've been very much looking forward to this for a long time, and agree that the time seems right!

Bug fixing is of course a top priority, but one where I feel everyone involved has a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.  And in particular, I have a pretty good idea of how I can continue to help.  What I'm less clear about are other tasks that would need to be done and how we can help with those.  There are half a dozen or so separate areas I can think of that should probably be discussed.  Maybe makes sense to have separate sub-theads for each of these, but I'll at least summarize my thoughts here.

Beta announcement: I got bored on a plane trip recently and started to draft up an announcement, intended to be suitable for the forum.  Based on whatever feedback I get, we could scrap it and rewrite, but hopefully just tweaking would be needed.  You can see and contribute to it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11-rEu0E0kaSKO82R63wJ3nky5zyfsf1w8Wj9VmL5CyQ/edit?usp=sharing

We'll probably want to supplement this with a more high level press release for the general public, and also with more detailed but still quick-and-dirty how-to info on the new features.  That leads naturally to the next topic...

Documentation: this is the biggest open area for 2.0.  What some of you may know but many pobably do not is that we have decided to have, in additional to whatever documentation comes with the program and/or is available for free on musescore.org, a separate more comprehensive manual available for purchase (proceeds to help fund development efforts).  I have been working on that on and off for the past year, and will make a push to get this finished by release of 2.0.  Meanwhile, Thomas will be heading up efforts for "community based" documentation (what ships with the program and/or is available on musescore.org).

Install packages: I suppose help could be used here?

Templates: sounds like that discussion is going on in issue tracker

Demos: I'd be happy to provide something "jazzy" to show off swing.  Should we plan on doing this for the beta?

Startup: we've talked about new splash screens or startup screens - is that still on the table?  Anything anyone could be doing there?

Bugs: for anyone not aware, I have been maintaining an organized "hit list" of bugs that I think need to be addressed:

http://musescore.org/en/issue-hit-list-marc-sabatella

where issues listed at the top of each section in bold are the ones I personally consider top priorities for beta (not that others aren't worth fixing before beta too).  It's just an informal list, but one I find useful for tracking progress and my own peace of mind - making sure we don't release anything with any glaring problems we knew about at one time but forgot to deal with.  If others have ideas about bugs submitted that are not on this list that you think should be (keeping in mind of course that there is no way every single bug in the tracker will be fixed before 2.0, much less before beta!), feel free to let me know.  Technically, anyone can edit this file, but I'd prefer it be limited to adding to the list, and given the frequency with which I update it (often several times per day) it probably makes more sense to just contact me if you want to see something added or bumped in priority (marked bold to indicate priority for beta).

Marc


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

lasconic
Administrator
Install packages
I will deal with it for Mac and Windows. I will need help with testing
but I plan to do ask on IRC.
The plan is to support Mac OSX 10.7 and higher and on Windows, the
installer should work from XP and up, but XP being not supported by
Microsoft, and Qt supporting only Windows 7 and up, the software
itself will be targeting these OS. If you have one of these, and want
to help, contact me.

SplashScreen
I believe Thomas will take this.

Demos
I would prefer to have an empty score for piano, or even a single
treble staff with piano sound instead of a demo score on startup. Some
demos like an updated version of Reunion or something to show off new
features such as Swing, Parts, Tablature etc... would be great but
would not hold the beta release. It would be best if the pieces are
short.

lasconic


2014-08-13 19:05 GMT+02:00 Marc Sabatella <[hidden email]>:

> I've been very much looking forward to this for a long time, and agree that
> the time seems right!
>
> Bug fixing is of course a top priority, but one where I feel everyone
> involved has a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.  And in
> particular, I have a pretty good idea of how I can continue to help.  What
> I'm less clear about are other tasks that would need to be done and how we
> can help with those.  There are half a dozen or so separate areas I can
> think of that should probably be discussed.  Maybe makes sense to have
> separate sub-theads for each of these, but I'll at least summarize my
> thoughts here.
>
> Beta announcement: I got bored on a plane trip recently and started to draft
> up an announcement, intended to be suitable for the forum.  Based on
> whatever feedback I get, we could scrap it and rewrite, but hopefully just
> tweaking would be needed.  You can see and contribute to it here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/11-rEu0E0kaSKO82R63wJ3nky5zyfsf1w8Wj9VmL5CyQ/edit?usp=sharing
>
> We'll probably want to supplement this with a more high level press release
> for the general public, and also with more detailed but still
> quick-and-dirty how-to info on the new features.  That leads naturally to
> the next topic...
>
> Documentation: this is the biggest open area for 2.0.  What some of you may
> know but many pobably do not is that we have decided to have, in additional
> to whatever documentation comes with the program and/or is available for
> free on musescore.org, a separate more comprehensive manual available for
> purchase (proceeds to help fund development efforts).  I have been working
> on that on and off for the past year, and will make a push to get this
> finished by release of 2.0.  Meanwhile, Thomas will be heading up efforts
> for "community based" documentation (what ships with the program and/or is
> available on musescore.org).
>
> Install packages: I suppose help could be used here?
>
> Templates: sounds like that discussion is going on in issue tracker
>
> Demos: I'd be happy to provide something "jazzy" to show off swing.  Should
> we plan on doing this for the beta?
>
> Startup: we've talked about new splash screens or startup screens - is that
> still on the table?  Anything anyone could be doing there?
>
> Bugs: for anyone not aware, I have been maintaining an organized "hit list"
> of bugs that I think need to be addressed:
>
> http://musescore.org/en/issue-hit-list-marc-sabatella
>
> where issues listed at the top of each section in bold are the ones I
> personally consider top priorities for beta (not that others aren't worth
> fixing before beta too).  It's just an informal list, but one I find useful
> for tracking progress and my own peace of mind - making sure we don't
> release anything with any glaring problems we knew about at one time but
> forgot to deal with.  If others have ideas about bugs submitted that are not
> on this list that you think should be (keeping in mind of course that there
> is no way every single bug in the tracker will be fixed before 2.0, much
> less before beta!), feel free to let me know.  Technically, anyone can edit
> this file, but I'd prefer it be limited to adding to the list, and given the
> frequency with which I update it (often several times per day) it probably
> makes more sense to just contact me if you want to see something added or
> bumped in priority (marked bold to indicate priority for beta).
>
> Marc
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mscore-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

craig gardner
I'm sorry that I've been "away" from MuseScore for quite awhile, and I'm overburdened and overwhelmed by a variety of responsibilities right now, but I commit to getting back to the building/packaging for SUSE Linux.  This needs to be done, and I'll get it done as soon as possible.  A small thing, but a necessary thing for MuseScore.


On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Lasconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Install packages
I will deal with it for Mac and Windows. I will need help with testing
but I plan to do ask on IRC.
The plan is to support Mac OSX 10.7 and higher and on Windows, the
installer should work from XP and up, but XP being not supported by
Microsoft, and Qt supporting only Windows 7 and up, the software
itself will be targeting these OS. If you have one of these, and want
to help, contact me.

SplashScreen
I believe Thomas will take this.

Demos
I would prefer to have an empty score for piano, or even a single
treble staff with piano sound instead of a demo score on startup. Some
demos like an updated version of Reunion or something to show off new
features such as Swing, Parts, Tablature etc... would be great but
would not hold the beta release. It would be best if the pieces are
short.

lasconic


2014-08-13 19:05 GMT+02:00 Marc Sabatella <[hidden email]>:
> I've been very much looking forward to this for a long time, and agree that
> the time seems right!
>
> Bug fixing is of course a top priority, but one where I feel everyone
> involved has a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.  And in
> particular, I have a pretty good idea of how I can continue to help.  What
> I'm less clear about are other tasks that would need to be done and how we
> can help with those.  There are half a dozen or so separate areas I can
> think of that should probably be discussed.  Maybe makes sense to have
> separate sub-theads for each of these, but I'll at least summarize my
> thoughts here.
>
> Beta announcement: I got bored on a plane trip recently and started to draft
> up an announcement, intended to be suitable for the forum.  Based on
> whatever feedback I get, we could scrap it and rewrite, but hopefully just
> tweaking would be needed.  You can see and contribute to it here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/11-rEu0E0kaSKO82R63wJ3nky5zyfsf1w8Wj9VmL5CyQ/edit?usp=sharing
>
> We'll probably want to supplement this with a more high level press release
> for the general public, and also with more detailed but still
> quick-and-dirty how-to info on the new features.  That leads naturally to
> the next topic...
>
> Documentation: this is the biggest open area for 2.0.  What some of you may
> know but many pobably do not is that we have decided to have, in additional
> to whatever documentation comes with the program and/or is available for
> free on musescore.org, a separate more comprehensive manual available for
> purchase (proceeds to help fund development efforts).  I have been working
> on that on and off for the past year, and will make a push to get this
> finished by release of 2.0.  Meanwhile, Thomas will be heading up efforts
> for "community based" documentation (what ships with the program and/or is
> available on musescore.org).
>
> Install packages: I suppose help could be used here?
>
> Templates: sounds like that discussion is going on in issue tracker
>
> Demos: I'd be happy to provide something "jazzy" to show off swing.  Should
> we plan on doing this for the beta?
>
> Startup: we've talked about new splash screens or startup screens - is that
> still on the table?  Anything anyone could be doing there?
>
> Bugs: for anyone not aware, I have been maintaining an organized "hit list"
> of bugs that I think need to be addressed:
>
> http://musescore.org/en/issue-hit-list-marc-sabatella
>
> where issues listed at the top of each section in bold are the ones I
> personally consider top priorities for beta (not that others aren't worth
> fixing before beta too).  It's just an informal list, but one I find useful
> for tracking progress and my own peace of mind - making sure we don't
> release anything with any glaring problems we knew about at one time but
> forgot to deal with.  If others have ideas about bugs submitted that are not
> on this list that you think should be (keeping in mind of course that there
> is no way every single bug in the tracker will be fixed before 2.0, much
> less before beta!), feel free to let me know.  Technically, anyone can edit
> this file, but I'd prefer it be limited to adding to the list, and given the
> frequency with which I update it (often several times per day) it probably
> makes more sense to just contact me if you want to see something added or
> bumped in priority (marked bold to indicate priority for beta).
>
> Marc
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mscore-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer



--
craig gardner
"Almost Certainly Nominated for Something Somewhere"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Marc Sabatella
In reply to this post by lasconic
On 08/13/2014 11:19 AM, Lasconic wrote:
> Demos
> I would prefer to have an empty score for piano, or even a single
> treble staff with piano sound instead of a demo score on startup.

Right, I wasn't thinking about a startup demo, just stuff to populate
the demos folder with.  Not that I or most people normally look there,
but for a while, there was talk of a startup screen that allowed easy
access to the demos (as well as a New & Load buttons, etc).

Marc


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Toby St Clere Smithe
In reply to this post by lasconic
Hi all,

Lasconic <[hidden email]> writes:
> Install packages
> I will deal with it for Mac and Windows. I will need help with testing
> but I plan to do ask on IRC.
> The plan is to support Mac OSX 10.7 and higher and on Windows, the
> installer should work from XP and up, but XP being not supported by
> Microsoft, and Qt supporting only Windows 7 and up, the software
> itself will be targeting these OS. If you have one of these, and want
> to help, contact me.

I will try and take care of this for Debian / Ubuntu before the 25th,
but I am moving country on the 22nd, so I might be a few days late. In
the process I will endeavour to make sure any remaining Debian / Ubuntu
patches are pushed upstream so that the production of nightly packages
can at last be automated.

All the best, and congratulations on the great work,

Toby



> SplashScreen
> I believe Thomas will take this.
>
> Demos
> I would prefer to have an empty score for piano, or even a single
> treble staff with piano sound instead of a demo score on startup. Some
> demos like an updated version of Reunion or something to show off new
> features such as Swing, Parts, Tablature etc... would be great but
> would not hold the beta release. It would be best if the pieces are
> short.
>
> lasconic
>
>
> 2014-08-13 19:05 GMT+02:00 Marc Sabatella <[hidden email]>:
>> I've been very much looking forward to this for a long time, and agree that
>> the time seems right!
>>
>> Bug fixing is of course a top priority, but one where I feel everyone
>> involved has a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.  And in
>> particular, I have a pretty good idea of how I can continue to help.  What
>> I'm less clear about are other tasks that would need to be done and how we
>> can help with those.  There are half a dozen or so separate areas I can
>> think of that should probably be discussed.  Maybe makes sense to have
>> separate sub-theads for each of these, but I'll at least summarize my
>> thoughts here.
>>
>> Beta announcement: I got bored on a plane trip recently and started to draft
>> up an announcement, intended to be suitable for the forum.  Based on
>> whatever feedback I get, we could scrap it and rewrite, but hopefully just
>> tweaking would be needed.  You can see and contribute to it here:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/11-rEu0E0kaSKO82R63wJ3nky5zyfsf1w8Wj9VmL5CyQ/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> We'll probably want to supplement this with a more high level press release
>> for the general public, and also with more detailed but still
>> quick-and-dirty how-to info on the new features.  That leads naturally to
>> the next topic...
>>
>> Documentation: this is the biggest open area for 2.0.  What some of you may
>> know but many pobably do not is that we have decided to have, in additional
>> to whatever documentation comes with the program and/or is available for
>> free on musescore.org, a separate more comprehensive manual available for
>> purchase (proceeds to help fund development efforts).  I have been working
>> on that on and off for the past year, and will make a push to get this
>> finished by release of 2.0.  Meanwhile, Thomas will be heading up efforts
>> for "community based" documentation (what ships with the program and/or is
>> available on musescore.org).
>>
>> Install packages: I suppose help could be used here?
>>
>> Templates: sounds like that discussion is going on in issue tracker
>>
>> Demos: I'd be happy to provide something "jazzy" to show off swing.  Should
>> we plan on doing this for the beta?
>>
>> Startup: we've talked about new splash screens or startup screens - is that
>> still on the table?  Anything anyone could be doing there?
>>
>> Bugs: for anyone not aware, I have been maintaining an organized "hit list"
>> of bugs that I think need to be addressed:
>>
>> http://musescore.org/en/issue-hit-list-marc-sabatella
>>
>> where issues listed at the top of each section in bold are the ones I
>> personally consider top priorities for beta (not that others aren't worth
>> fixing before beta too).  It's just an informal list, but one I find useful
>> for tracking progress and my own peace of mind - making sure we don't
>> release anything with any glaring problems we knew about at one time but
>> forgot to deal with.  If others have ideas about bugs submitted that are not
>> on this list that you think should be (keeping in mind of course that there
>> is no way every single bug in the tracker will be fixed before 2.0, much
>> less before beta!), feel free to let me know.  Technically, anyone can edit
>> this file, but I'd prefer it be limited to adding to the list, and given the
>> frequency with which I update it (often several times per day) it probably
>> makes more sense to just contact me if you want to see something added or
>> bumped in priority (marked bold to indicate priority for beta).
>>
>> Marc
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Mscore-developer mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
>>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Toby St Clere Smithe
http://tsmithe.net


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marc Sabatella
@Marc The startup screen will be tackled after the first beta.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1 > Translation and documentation

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
In reply to this post by lasconic
With the 2.0 beta announcement out of the door, I would like to give some info about two community driven efforts which will be initiated after the release of beta 1: translation and documentation. These two extremely important efforts which will have a direct impact on the reach and adoption of MuseScore 2.0. Everyone will be invited to join these efforts, regardless from the size of your contribution.

Translations

One of the goals of releasing the first beta will be to come to a string freeze. This means that once beta 1 is out, we will call for help on translation MuseScore to as many languages as possible. The translation process for MuseScore 2.0 has been completely changed from 1.x. You can read all about it at http://musescore.org/node/22982

Basically we have put a continuous translation workflow in place leveraging Transifex web service which will make it much easier to translate MuseScore and to test the translation near real-time. There is still some work needed to streamline and document the process though, so hold your horses.

Documentation

Learning about MuseScore 1.3 could be done using the freely available and community created handbook which can be found at http://musescore.org/en/handbook or one of the commercially available books listed at http://musescore.org/en/books. For 2.0 our ambition is to be able to offer the best from both worlds again: one community authored handbook in multiple languages and one commercially available handbook which goes great dept on how to master MuseScore, written by Marc Sabatella in English.

By the time the first beta will be available, the infrastructure will be in place on musescore.org to facilitate the collaborative authoring of the 2.0 handbook. My proposal is to start from a copy of the English 1.3 handbook and update it for 2.0. We should not make it a goal to create the most detailed handbook ever, but instead a guide which is sufficient enough to get started with MuseScore. Having a concise English handbook will also lower the effort to translate the handbook in as many languages as possible, which serves the purpose to maximise the reach of MuseScore 2.0.

If you have questions, remarks or ideas, please don't hesitate to reply.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Maurizio M. Gavioli
In reply to this post by Marc Sabatella
Aaaalleluja, aaaalleluja, alleeluujaaaa....

Demo:

I was planning to provide one or two short demo scores of historic tablatures; say, one Dowland piece for lute (or one Hume piece for viol) for the French tab style and one Verdelot madrigal tabulated for lute by A. Willaert for Italian tab style. Each should fit in one or two pages. Palatable?

What about one XV or XVI c. polyphony piece to show off some moderately weird ancient stuff? This would be hard to fit in a single page, though (3-4 pages on average).

Documentation:

I can take care of documenting the features I contributed most (tabs, basso continuo, ecc...). The skeleton of them should already be there in the "New features for MuseScore 2.0" section; I'll check it is up-to-date. If anybody notices something missing, please shout.

Translation:

Of course, if necessary, I could deal with the Italian translation (MuseScore presence in Italy is well below its potential), but the guys who did the Italian translation for 1.x did a good job and, if they are still around and still inclined to collaborate, I believe it would be better...

Thanks,

Maurizio
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

lasconic
Administrator
*Demos*
Sure, French and Italian tabs are ok.
Not sure what you mean by weird ancient stuff but I would prefer a
simple piece with figured bass than a long one demonstrating "note
value accross barline".

2014-08-14 10:40 GMT+02:00 Maurizio M. Gavioli <[hidden email]>:

> Aaaalleluja, aaaalleluja, alleeluujaaaa....
>
> *Demo:*
>
> I was planning to provide one or two short demo scores of historic
> tablatures; say, one Dowland piece for lute (or one Hume piece for viol) for
> the French tab style and one Verdelot madrigal tabulated for lute by A.
> Willaert for Italian tab style. Each should fit in one or two pages.
> Palatable?
>
> What about one XV or XVI c. polyphony piece to show off some moderately
> weird ancient stuff? This would be hard to fit in a single page, though (3-4
> pages on average).
>
> *Documentation*:
>
> I can take care of documenting the features I contributed most (tabs, basso
> continuo, ecc...). The skeleton of them should already be there in the "New
> features for MuseScore 2.0" section; I'll check it is up-to-date. If anybody
> notices something missing, please shout.
>
> *Translation*:
>
> Of course, if necessary, I could deal with the Italian translation
> (MuseScore presence in Italy is well below its potential), but the guys who
> did the Italian translation for 1.x did a good job and, if they are still
> around and still inclined to collaborate, I believe it would be better...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maurizio
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://dev-list.musescore.org/Towards-MuseScore-2-0-beta1-tp7578893p7578904.html
> Sent from the MuseScore Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Mscore-developer mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Jojo-Schmitz
In reply to this post by Maurizio M. Gavioli
For the Italian translation I think Shoichi is working on it and has it
almost complete (95%).
See https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/musescore/language/it/
 Guess having help and proof-readers won't harm though :-)

German translation is complete, but could use proof-readers...

Bye, Jojo



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Maurizio M. Gavioli
In reply to this post by lasconic
lasconic wrote
*Demos*
Sure, French and Italian tabs are ok.
Deal!
Not sure what you mean by weird ancient stuff but I would prefer a
simple piece with figured bass than a long one demonstrating "note
value accross barline".
Well, when I demoed some friends of mines, showing that with MuseScore you can have Mensurstrich by drawing a few bar lines and checking one box, their jaws dropped! But in fact I was thinking to something with multiple prolationes, ligaturæ, coloratio and so on... (and, why not, the 'right' shape for breves and longæ...)

Anyway, no problem, I have in stock several scores with continuo from which to extract a single-page (or at most two-page) movement.

Maurizio
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Kostis7
In reply to this post by lasconic
Dear lasconic,
                  I have just learned that a beta version of Musescore 2.0 is going to be released very soon. The reason I am writing this email is because I have some complaints of Musescore 1.3 and I would like to be informed about the changes the new version.
                 My first complaint is that some basic instruments are missing from the instruments list. For instance there's no lute, sousaphone, cimbass, mandocello etc.
                 Secondly, some instuments' sound is very similar to other instruments' sounds are the same. For example, the trumpet with cornet anf flugelhorn, the finger snap with the claves, the castanets with the hgh wood block, the sleigh bells with the cabasas, the woodblocks with the temple blocks, the anvil with the ride cymball and the bells, the bell plate with vibra slap, the triangle with the tubo, the mandolin with the mandola and many more.
                Furthermore, some instruments do not sound realistic. Some examples is the sounds of the trumpet, the violin, the bouzouki, the violone etc.
                In addition, there are some minor problems which the most important for me is the tempo. There's no ritenuto, ritardando, accelerando etc. and the fermata doesn't keep the note for as long as it has to. At last there's no trill, pral, mordent and tremolo playback.
               Finally, there are several bugs that aren't very important but I just would like to mention one of them. There's no middle line in forte's "F" symbal which I find the most important of them.
               I am a true and loyal Musescore user for years and I believe that if in the new version those things are changed many more musicians will start using your programme istead of Finale as I did. I will be thankful if you take this message seriously and do your best to make Musescore the most professional music composition prgramme ever.
 

P.S. I am terribly sorry for any spelling or grammatical mistake because English is not my mother language.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

Jojo-Schmitz
Hi Kostis7

Have a look at the currentl nightly builds, and check if you find these
complaints to still be valid.

Bye, Jojo


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1

ChurchOrganist
In reply to this post by Kostis7
Hi Kostis,

I think you will find that many of the missing instruments you mention have been added to MuseScore 2, but if you find any that have been missed, let us have the necessary details to add them and that will be rectified.

Regarding the sounds - you must remember that the default sounds are all from the GM sound list which relates to the default soundfont, and you will find several discrepancies which cannot be overcome as the sounds are simply not there in the GM list.

MuseScore 2, however, has the ability to use multiple soundfonts, so it will be possible for users to add their own sounds should they find (or make) a soundfont with the correct instruments in them.
Regards
Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1 > Translation and documentation

watery
In reply to this post by Thomas Bonte
Hi everybody :)
I almost lost the 'translation' part ^_^ in the recent conversations (I usually just go quickly through them for curiosity).

I never did much in Musescore (both as a user and as a developer), I just get the latest source code, compile it and give it a try.
But I think that this is a great project, and since I can do a bit of proofreading / suggesting / etc, I'll be glad to give a little hand - I can do it for the Italian language :)

So, I'll keep an eye on the mailing lists.



Regards
watery



Da: Thomas Bonte <[hidden email]>
A: [hidden email]
Inviato: Mercoledì 13 Agosto 2014 22:50
Oggetto: Re: [Mscore-developer] Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1 > Translation and documentation

With the 2.0 beta announcement out of the door, I would like to give some
info about two community driven efforts which will be initiated after the
release of beta 1: translation and documentation. These two extremely
important efforts which will have a direct impact on the reach and adoption
of MuseScore 2.0. Everyone will be invited to join these efforts, regardless
from the size of your contribution.

Translations

One of the goals of releasing the first beta will be to come to a string
freeze. This means that once beta 1 is out, we will call for help on
translation MuseScore to as many languages as possible. The translation
process for MuseScore 2.0 has been completely changed from 1.x. You can read
all about it at http://musescore.org/node/22982

Basically we have put a continuous translation workflow in place leveraging
Transifex web service which will make it much easier to translate MuseScore
and to test the translation near real-time. There is still some work needed
to streamline and document the process though, so hold your horses.

Documentation

Learning about MuseScore 1.3 could be done using the freely available and
community created handbook which can be found at
http://musescore.org/en/handbook or one of the commercially available books
listed at http://musescore.org/en/books. For 2.0 our ambition is to be able
to offer the best from both worlds again: one community authored handbook in
multiple languages and one commercially available handbook which goes great
dept on how to master MuseScore, written by Marc Sabatella in English.

By the time the first beta will be available, the infrastructure will be in
place on musescore.org to facilitate the collaborative authoring of the 2.0
handbook. My proposal is to start from a copy of the English 1.3 handbook
and update it for 2.0. We should not make it a goal to create the most
detailed handbook ever, but instead a guide which is sufficient enough to
get started with MuseScore. Having a concise English handbook will also
lower the effort to translate the handbook in as many languages as possible,
which serves the purpose to maximise the reach of MuseScore 2.0.

If you have questions, remarks or ideas, please don't hesitate to reply.



--
View this message in context: http://dev-list.musescore.org/Towards-MuseScore-2-0-beta1-tp7578893p7578903.html
Sent from the MuseScore Developer mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slashdot TV.  
Video for Nerds.  Stuff that matters.
http://tv.slashdot.org/
_______________________________________________
Mscore-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mscore-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Towards MuseScore 2.0 beta1 > Translation and documentation

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
In reply to this post by Thomas Bonte
Hey everyone,

Kicking off the community challenge to create the MuseScore 2.0 handbook: http://musescore.org/en/node/36181

An update on the translation effort for MuseScore 2.0 will come together with the beta 2 release, scheduled for some time in the future.